Translate

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Jaunty January

The chill in the air is still here in Kyoto.
January has passed and it is cold!

After staying in Tokyo as long as I could, I made my way back to Kyotanabe for teacher workdays. Winter semester has started, and I am almost done with my first full year of teaching at KIUA! School is still a bit of a challenge, but things are going well. The short winter term means that I have to start getting ready for next year already! Between grading and planning for next year, there's not much time for anything else.

Thankfully not much time doesn't mean no time for anything else. This month, I was able to visit a rice pounding ceremony called mochitsuki at the local city hall. Mochitsuki amounts to a New Year's Festival where cooked rice is made into a soft dough, called mochi, by pounding it with a hammer. The dough is eaten with various fillings and toppings and is very delicious. For those who live stateside, there is even one in Portland every year!

I might have gotten a little excited...

Kinako, in front, and anko filled mochi. Tasty!


This month, please remember these prayer requests:
  • That I can stay on top of planning and grading this trimester.
  • For the students' health and attitudes- that both would be good.
  • Please continue to pray for the teachers and staff.
  • Pray that the final trimester of the year will be finished strong and planning will go well.
Thank you for your support of God's work in Japan!
-Thomas

No comments: